POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 14 Jul 2008 23:51:42
Message: <487c1ece@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> *) the reasons why some people may overreact a little here to your
> question are that 1) it has been asked over and over again yet the
> license file is very clear and 2) people have moved POV out the list of
> free software in some packages because it does not comply to some
> arbitrary definition, thereby suggesting that POV costs money to use.

Doesn't matter if it suggests POV costs money. It's still bad if they put it
in the same bag as nVidia video drivers for Linux (I mean it literally,
some distros put them in the same group, "non-free" or similar).

Both are free in price. But nvidia drivers are closed-source, and POV-Ray
lets you see the code, even modify it, even redistribute your modification.
You just have to comply with the rules for modification and redistribution,
which happen not to match FSF's Free Software definition, or Debian Free
Software Guidelines, or whatever.